Mosques in Hyderabad
All India Majlis-e-Ittehad-ul Muslimeen or AIMIM (All India Council of the Union of Muslims), a Muslim political party in India, has its headquarters at Hyderabad. The President of this party at present is Asaduddin Owaisi.
There are many mosques in Hyderabad. These include Mecca Masjid, Jama Masjid Aliya, Masjid-E-Hussaini Mosque, Masjid-E-Mohammadia, Al Madina Jamia Masjid, Masjide Rehmatain, Chandrayan Gutta, Jam-E-Mosque Bee Saiba, Panjagutta among others.Muslims gather here for prayers offered to Allah (God).
Prayers are held during all important festivals in these mosques.Everyday, Adhan or azaan is called out by a muezzin from Masjid through loud speakers five times a day. The mosques have a hall for teaching of Quaran. The minaret or tower and a dome are distinguishing features of a mosque. The worshipers face towards the wall in front of the mosque which is known as Qiblah wall which has a mihrab in it. It denotes that the worshiper is facing towards Makkah. By facing the Qiblah wall a Muslim knows they are facing Makkah.
However, the Spanish Mosque, also named as Masjid Iqbal Ud Daula or Aiwan-E-Begumpet or 'Mosque of Moors' looks different due to its unique Hispanic (Moorish) style of architecture. There are spires instead of minarets or domes and these give it a church-like appearance. This Masjid was built by Paigah Nawab, Nawab Sir Iqbal Ud Daula in 1906 on the lines of Cathedral-Mosque of Cordoba in Spain.
The Mecca Masjid is the oldest mosque in Hyderabad and the largest mosque in India. Soil brought from Mecca, the holy site of Muslims, was used to make bricks with which this mosque has been constructed. Mecca Masjid is a listed Heritage building too. The main hall of this mosque can accommodate around 10,000 worshipers!
Mosques in Hyderabad have been targets of extremists in the past. In March, 2012, Ahmadiyya Mosque at Saidabad in Hyderabad was attacked by extremists. On May, 2007, Mecca Masjid bombing occurred inside the mosque which is situated in old city area of Hyderabad.
Famous Masjids in Hyderabad
- Mecca Masjid, Charminar Phone: (040) 24524023
- Jama Masjid Aliya, Opp Nizam College, Gunfoundry-Abids Phone: (040) 23298358
- Masjid-E-Hussaini Mosque, Begumpet Phone: 9346298361
- Qutubshahi Mosque Darul Irfar Mosque, Red Hills, Phone: (040) 23320891
- Masjid-E-Mohammadia, Panjagutta Phone: 9959620652
- Subhani Masjid, Begumpet Phone: 9346948856
- Al Madina Jamia Masjid, Warasiguda, Hyderabad - 500361 Phone: 9700050786
- Masjide Rehmatain, Chandrayan Gutta, Hyderabad - 500059 Phone: 7893008386
- Jamiya Masjeed, Trimulgherry Phone: 9394061249
- Jamiya Mosque, Bolarum Phone: (040) 27867353
- Jam-E-Mosque Bee Saiba Panjagutta, X Roads, Paradise, Phone: 9291203713
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0